Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Trees Speak: Luminous Crab Apple



I began talking to trees and plants as a child, and for a brief period of time, this communication was educated right out of me… I’m thankful that it was only a brief period. I resumed my interest in the natural world as a teenager: stones, earth, herbs, gardens and the magical whispering of the nature spirits. 

I vividly recall the first time -since I was a child- that a tree addressed me directly. She was a gnarled old crabapple growing just off my front porch who offered several comfortable spots to recline. I enjoyed her immensely; I would frequently perch in her low, sturdy branches and observe the world. One evening in early November, I stepped out onto my porch to breathe in the cool, moist air. It had been raining steadily all day, and a fine mist persisted, visible in the glow of the streetlight across the way. 

“Welcome.” She said. I heard it distinctly in my head. The thought was simple and it was placed there, but not by me. “Hi.(?)” I replied tentatively. “My berries are luminous.” She stated. They were. The pea-sized fruits were heavy with pendulous droplets of rain that reflected the streetlamp’s amber radiance. I agreed, “Yes. There are.” somewhat dumbstruck. “Taste them.” She urged and when I hesitated, she added, “I would never harm you. I love you.” I plucked one and tasted it slowly, reverently. “What is my medicine?” she asked, encouraging me to consider the flavors and sensations.

Initially, I detected a mild sweetness, followed by sour. The texture was dry and finally I noticed that my mouth became slightly parched. I relayed this aloud to her and she responded, “What does that tell you?” I pondered this information in the context of my herbal knowledge in traditional Chinese medicine. “Tonifying to the Spleen Qi, inhibiting Damp, while also being astringent.” I reported. “Who do you know that needs this?” she prodded. A light bulb went on in my head, and I was offered 5 tiny, ripe apples to give to my friend who was in the house. 

“The tree out front wants you to eat these.” I stated matter-of-factly when I returned to the living room with my open palm extended, offering the fruit. I was met with a look of bemused incredulity, yet my friend complied and ate them. The digestive symptoms he had been complaining about for a few weeks were completely cleared up by the next day. After that, I’ve never hesitated to converse with trees or plants.


“HerbaLisl” Lisl Meredith Huebner, Dipl.CH (NCCAOM), RH (AHG) is a nationally board certified Chinese Herbalist, and a Registered Herbalist with the American Herbalists Guild. Lisl is also a certified Medicinal Aromatherapist, a Reiki Master an Acupressurist, an Auriculotherapist, a photographer, a renowned diagnostician, a teacher and a published writer who has enjoyed a successful private practice for nearly twenty years.
Please call 8 6 0 - 4 8 0 - 0 1 1 5 or email HerbaLisl@hotmail.com  if you have any questions would like to schedule an appointment or are interested in participating in classes or retreats.

1 comment: